Mardi Gras Craft Fun for Kids
Mardi Gras Crafts
"Throw me something mister" - this is one of the first phrases kids in New Orleans learn to say. Everyone loves a parade and Mardi Gras season hosts dozens of parades both large and opulent to small and down home. Even if you can't make it to a Mardi Gras parade you can join in the festivities by hosting a party and making some fun and festive Mardi Gras decorations. Oh, and don't forget the King Cake - click here for the recipe.
Mardi Gras is a great event to celebrate and the decorations are equally fun. The decorations are bright, sparkly and creative. As you create your new Mardi Gras crafts make sure you are in a creative mood. You will have to make sure that you have plenty of fun and sparkly craft supplies.
Two great ideas for Mardi Gras crafts are party masks and bead strings. Both of these crafts are a lot of fun to make and wear on Mardi Gras.
To make masks you will need:
- Colored construction paper
- A dowel or ruler
- Start by cutting out a fun shape for a mask to cover your eyes. You can find templates for masks or you can create your own fun template. The only requirement for the shape of your mask is two eye holes, so you can see.
- After you cut out the template for your mask you will need to start decorating it.
- You can create multiple layers for your mask.
- You can also add sequins and glitter and whatever else to spice up your mask.
If your mask isn't as strong as you would like, you can secure a piece of cardstock or light cardboard to the mask. After your mask is glued and decorated you can attach your dowel or ruler on either the right or left side of your mask. The dowel acts as a handle for your mask so you can hold it up, and remove it as you choose.
To make bead necklaces you will need:
- Shiny beads
- Light string or fishing wire
Making your own string of beads is easy, instead of purchasing Mardi Gras beads.
- Cut a piece of string long enough for your necklace,
- String on enough beads to fill up the string
- Knot together the string to create your necklace.